Wednesday, March 11, 2009

2009 Canadian Musicfest (Canadian Music Week) picks

Canadian MusicfestThe newly dubbed Canadian Musicfest, the music showcase component of this year's Canadian Music Week kicks off tonight(Mar 11) with a few venues but heads into full gear from Thursday March 12 to Saturday March 14, and then ending like it started with a few select venues on Sunday(Mar 15). I'll likely skip the festivities tonight although perhaps if I get the bug I'll take in some of the Eye Weekly CMW showcase tonight at Gladstone Hotel or maybe check out Scottish indie folk-pop outfit We See Lights at the Horseshoe. I've been perusing the CMF schedule all day and I think I've finally come up with a schedule to my liking. Thursday, I mostly plan to camp out at Gladstone Hotel for the 2nd night of Eye Weekly's 3-way Throwdown with only the slight aberration that I'll likely take in We See Lights' set at Rancho Relaxo at 9 pm. However on Friday and Saturday I switch in to full club-hopping mode - if the TTC transit gods are on my side, I should hopefully make most of my planned schedule. For the life of me, I haven't found anything to my interest to check out at midnight on Friday night - perhaps I'll just swing by the Horseshoe Tavern and see how big of a lineup of people shivering in the cold there is trying to get in to see Handsome Furs. Oh good times. So taking a cue from Chromewaves recent CMF picks, here's mine (note: all the artist hyperlinks below point to their respective MySpace sites so click through and check them out):

Click here to read the full entry

1 comment:

  1. Wednesday, November 18, 2009
    "Movin' On" by Papasean Johnson (Blues/Rock Artist from British Columbia, Canada)


    "Movin' On" is the latest album from Papasean Johnson. It is an album recorded in the Blues/Rock style of a generation past, with catchy guitar riffs over driving beats coupled with energetic and loud vocals. "Ain't No Friend of Mine" combines elements from 50's rock with a contemporary edge in a rock song that really swings. "Young And Restless" is a grittier song that reminisces about the good old times of youth. For "Still Love That Girl" we find a more traditional blues song that is adapted into the groovy and loud style of Papasean Johnson. Overall, "Movin' On" is filled with a plethora of cool riffs over rhythmic beats that lie somewhere in-between straight-rock and dance-rock. This album is a good find for people who enjoy the likes of ZZ Top or other high tempo Blues/Rock acts.
    -Sean B. and the RadioIndy.com Reviewer Team
    http://www.cdbaby.com/papaseanjohnson2

    ReplyDelete